Wednesday, October 04, 2006

I Don't Write Reviews

It's been a bit of a rough year for new music, but recently a few bands have accidentally let decent records slip out. I guess they didn't get the memo.

The Hold Steady Boys And Girls In America

Do you ever stumble into a karaoke bar just after happy hour to hear a group of people having the time of their lives belting out "Born To Run?" It sounds like a trainwreck, but that's the last thing on anyone's mind. That's the sort of feeling I get from The Hold Steady. It's straightforward, uplifting rock in the vein of Springsteen with unabashedly alcoholic sung/spoken vocals. I absolutely love the piano scoring. Pitchfork gave this record a 9.4, so apparently it's okay to like this band and still maintain your coffee house credibility.


Cancer Bats Birthing The Giant

The new Cancer Bats record (which I believe has been floating around the internet for months now) basically sounds like the Suicide File mixed with Doomriders.... in the same vein as Bars or The Bronx, but much, much better. These guys are getting a ton of hype by sharing members with Alexisonfire, so I'm sure this record will blow up. Additionally, clocking in at over 40 minutes, Birthing The Giant is a shockingly lengthy hardcore record, although entirely engaging the whole way through.

I'd write about the new Killswitch Engage too, but I can't find the artwork, and that's just unforgivable.

No comments: